On May 22, 2013 at 10:34 p.m. the FDLFD responded to a “fire out” investigation at 27 5th Street. The resident of the first floor of the duplex reported cooking French fries when the oil ignited. The resident attempted to extinguish the fire by covering the pan and then attempted to remove the pan outside and as a result, he sustained a burn injury and was taken to the hospital by paramedics with non-life threatening injuries. The fire was contained to the stove which sustained extensive damage. Smoke had to be evacuated by firefighters. As a result of the smoke damage, the Red Cross was called to help provide overnight shelter to the family. Firefighters did not find any working smoke alarms in the residence. “These residents are fortunate they were awake at the time of the fire,” said Fire Chief Peter O'Leary. “Smoke alarms are required by Wisconsin State Statutes and the fire prevention bureau will be following up with the building owner to find out why no detectors were present.” Firefighters will be out canvasing the 5th Street location later today passing out fire safety information to nearby residents to help drive home the message that smoke alarms save lives. The FDLD will install smoke alarms free of charge if necessary.