ReadyWisconsin and the Department of Transportation are teaming up to warn people about the upcoming storm and precautions you and your family should take to keep safe.
- Limit travel. Depending on conditions in your area it may be safer to limit, delay or cancel your travel on Thursday.
- If you must travel allow plenty of extra time for your trip. Also keep at least a half tank of gas in your vehicle and inform friends and family of your travel plans and approximate arrival time.
- Check the roads before you travel. The Wisconsin Department of Transportation advises travelers check road conditions before leaving home by calling 5-1-1 or visiting www.511wi.gov.
- Have an emergency winter weather survival kit in your vehicle. Your kit should include water, snack food such as energy bars or raisins, first aid kit and booster cables. If you have a cell phone make sure you have a power adapter you can plug into the lighter. You can find more kit tips on our website… http://readywisconsin.wi.gov
- Get supplies for your home. Make sure your home emergency kit is stocked with food that can be stored and prepared without electricity. Also, make sure you have extra water, flashlights with extra batteries and medications. For a complete list of kit items go to our website: http://readywisconsin.wi.gov/kit/GetKit.asp
- Stay informed. ReadyWisconsin will keep you posted on any emergencies that occur during the storm. Follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/readywisconsin) or Twitter (www.twitter.com/readywisconsin) for updates.