On 06-25-14 at 12:26 a.m. the Fond du Lac Fire Department responded to 132 E. Cotton St. for a reported house on fire. An alert neighbor noticed smoke coming from a second floor window and called 911. When police arrived, they saw smoke coming from the residence and checked to see if anyone was home. Fire crews arrived quickly and made an initial interior fire attack. The bulk of the fire was near a dishwasher and some of the structure surrounding it on the first floor. After further investigation it is believed that an electrical issue inside the home is what may have caused the fire. As a precaution Alliant Energy secured both electrical and gas services. The residents were not home at the time of the fire and there were no injuries. “The alert neighbor who witnessed seeing smoke coming from the house probably prevented a much more devastating outcome”, said fire chief Peter O’Leary. The residents are staying overnight with friends until an electrician can assess the condition of the home’s electrical system. Fond du Lac police provided assistance with traffic and on-scene management.