On Wednesday April 23, 2014 at 5:55 p.m. the Fond du Lac Fire Department responded to a report of kitchen fire at 189 E. 2nd St. Upon arrival firefighters met with residents who were safely outside of the house who believed the fire was extinguished. Crews confirmed the fire was extinguished and checked for extension. There was moderate smoke conditions throughout the house and fire crews assisted with ventilation of the home. One resident sustained non-life threatening injuries while extinguishing the fire. He was subsequently transported by ambulance to the hospital for further treatment. Fond du Lac Police assisted with traffic management. “We urge all residents to comply with Wisconsin law which requires smoke alarms in residential dwellings, said Fire Chief Peter O’Leary. Each time our fire crews encounter a home without working smoke alarms, we will install new ones free of charge which we did before we left the house.” Firefighters will be canvassing the neighborhood surrounding the fire on Thursday providing fire safety information to nearby residents.